Thursday, August 11, 2011

Thursday Farmer's Market

Yup, I am selling freshly harvested mixed salad greens, grown by a local farmer, as well as cherries I picked myself from a colourful character who has offered (for the first time) a 'Pick-Your-Own' option in his orchard. It is lovely to wander through these well pruned trees in the middle of the day and fill a few flats with tree ripened cherries. I sold five pounds to friends and bagged the rest in one pound lots to offer to patrons of the newly formed Thursday Farmer's Market in the small community of Cobble Hill. I sold out today! All the cherries and the eight bags of salad greens were gone by the end of the afternoon.

I make a little profit, but mostly turn the money back to the grower, where it rightly belongs. The women and men farmers who are earnest and hardworking deserve the monetary reward. For myself, I enjoy the interaction with the people who arrive to purchase locally grown organic produce.

If you are fortunate enough to have such a market in your area, I hope you will take the time to support the efforts of those who grow excellent food, as they are doing their bit in offering a healthy, environmentally alternative to the mass marketing you find in grocery stores.

No comments:

Post a Comment