Friday, January 28, 2011

Raw Foodie, eh?

So ya may (or may not) wanna know about my eating habits lately... I'm right into a RAW VEGAN DIET which began in July 2009, moving along from vegan to raw vegan. Not such a leap as I thought, initially. The recipes took some getting used to. I shopped at Church Bazaars, garage sales and second hand stores to find 'new' appliances needed in my kitchen. At first, I was gritting my teeth with worry about 'getting it right' in meeting all my nutritional requirements but have found that raw vegan is not much different from vegan, in that regard.

The benefits from this diet are many. I've lost the craving for sweets; have stopped looking for snacks to eat in the evenings; notice an increase in mental clarity; am far less tired during the day; the bloating I was suffering from has disappeared; there has been a slow but steady weight loss and an overall feeling of delightful well-being.

However, I am not eating everything raw. I indulge in the occasional baked potato/yam or I may steam some broccoli. The raw foodies would say I was about '97% raw' (now THAT sounds a little weird!)

I'm saving a wee bit of money, too: on the hydro bill, as the electric stove-top isn't used as often and there are fewer dishes to wash up. Also, the overall grocery bill is lower, as I'm definitely eating less.

Someone asked me if I feel the cold more because none of the food is heated. No, actually, I don't and some of the food IS warmed up. I use a dehydrator when called for and the entrees I make are often warm at time of serving. Like a dish called Canadian Neatsticks... yummy!

I admit this style of eating is not for everyone, but I'm pleased to say it is working for me.

3 comments:

  1. So, SO happy to see you starting up your own blog! Way to go, woman.

    When's the next post, hm?

    ReplyDelete
  2. How about the cost of produce and nuts and those expensive out of season foods? Do you think it would cost less if you only ate what was local and in season? Would that even be possible? Does how far the produce has to travel have a bearing on the nutritional content of the food? You told me once how much protein is needed daily in grams and I forgot. Tell me again. Is the protein you get from raw vegan a reliable complete source of protein?

    Seestar! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey-ho M S,

    Thanks for your comments. Good questions, all.

    Yes, the protein I get from the raw vegan diet is sufficient to meet all my nutritional needs. The recommended daily allowance for a woman my age is 56 grams.

    Hmmm, the cost of produce and nuts.......as compared to what - meat - prepackaged "food"? I dunno.

    I very seldom purchase the expensive out-of-season items for obvious $$ reasons.

    The nutritional value of the food that travels is the same, as long as the produce has been kept fresh.

    It's the active enzymes in raw food that is beneficial. The enzymes assists our bodies to digest and absorb the nutrients therein. These enzymes are destroyed when heated above 116 -118degrees F.

    I don't think it would be possible (nor healthy) to eat only local food year round, as the choices would be very limited.

    Does this answer everything?

    ReplyDelete