Monday, February 28, 2011

Moving Mother

I get a call from my nearly 83 year old mother: her long awaited move to an Assisted Living Village has been confirmed.

Would I please come over and help make the move? Yes, mother, I will.

I travel from my little abode on Vancouver Island to the mainland via ferry. This trip takes a minimum of four hours - one way. Mother is there to pick me up at the terminal; hands me the keys to her tiny car; slowly settles herself in the passenger seat and begins to issue directives........which do not stop for nine l-o-n-g days.

I organize: find movers; pack boxes; move small items; keep us (and the resident cat) fed; remind her that all services must be notified; acquire address change cards from the post office; keep track of three sets of keys; help set up the new place and clean the old one, all the while trying to maintain my sanity.

I will not go into more detail, suffice it to say that we have spent better times together.

Returning home, I fall into bed and sleep for two days.

Upon resuming my life, the first thing I do is to amass a pile of my own unused stuff to give away. Secondly, I vow to steadily decrease my already meager material things till everything I own will fit into the back of one pick-up truck. Most importantly, I contact friends to talk with, hoping to acquire a better personal perspective.

The event is as stressful, if not more so, as any other major changes we encounter during our lifetime. And maybe worse, knowing that my mother is preparing to die.

2 comments:

  1. I think that when you move there is a fear of forgetting all that happened at your previous address. Maybe even moreso as we age. Stuff can help to ground us. Stuff can reassure us of who we were and where we came from.... important in a fearful situation. Stuff is OK. Too much stuff is a matter of personal preference, like what is good wine or how long is a long drive? Stuff tells the story of our life. I see people's lives come into the thrift store all the time. Specially after a funeral. Some people hold onto that ancient can of soup because it reminds them of the time they were supposed to eat it but their kid came home from university in tears unexpectedly to say they quit and the soup never got eaten. Some people are like that. That's OK, too. I know someone who needs to have a dutch hoe! LOL and someone else is gonna need that SAME dutch hoe after they are gone, too!

    Some people need a lot of stuff and some only need a little. It's all good.

    Peace seestah
    I LOVE LOVE my chubbers divas collection! Thank you!
    I am saving a lot of stuff for you to have so I can have revenge for you burning my jingle ears!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alright, Seestah! Enough about the dutch hoe.....

    ReplyDelete